Friday, February 12, 2010

Where in the World is Debbie

For the first time since losing my right hand gal in the store, I took last weekend off and attended a spinning retreat in Indiana. This was my 3rd year attending the retreat and now I am determined that I would not miss it for the world.

Every year around 30 of the most wonderful, fascinating and creative women gather from all parts to spin, knit, crochet and get reacquainted. Since moving away from Indiana this was a very much needed reconnection as well as a time of quiet renewal.

Each year when I attend I do so with some spinning need, a project or problem that needs fixing. The first year it was figuring out why my wheel wouldn't do what I wanted it to do. I wanted to learn how to spin thinner yarns and took some lessons in the fine art of fine spinning. After a year of frustration with my polwarth top ( a glorious Rookie Gift) I brought it back the second year to learn how to spin it. I also wanted to learn to knit socks from memory without a pattern and I can't tell you what a challenge that is after Bailey's in a chocolate cup at 2:30 in the morning. Rhayna's sweater - hand painted, hand spun yarn

This year I was able to show off the polwarth sweater that I finally finished from my spun yarn but I hoped to learn to spin more evenly and to learn the fine art of hand carding my fibers for more professional looking yarn. Thank you to all of you who have helped me over the years without making me or anyone else feel like we were a bother and for sharing your knowledge without reserve.

In a day when we seem to have forgotten the art of asking for help we must make time for getting together in an environment here you are expected to ask for help. I had a friend tell me that she didn't want to come to the knitting circle on Saturday because she needed too much help. Where did we get this idea? I think we lost it around the time we sent our children off to expensive colleges instead of apprenticeships. In this self-sufficient culture, buck the system and ask someone for help and revel in the fact that knowledge was passed from one friend - a real friend - to another.See you on Saturday!! Bring your wheels, needles, yarn, questions and fiber needs. Also, feel free to bring along project to inspire others. The Knitting Circle will meet from 9am to close on Saturdays.

3 comments:

  1. So glad you too the time to do something that refreshes you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I'm out in East TN. We spoke last year about our milk cows. So nice to see you are a spinner! I want to learn one of these days. I have a mixed breed hair sheep flock but recently bought a Tunis ram from Locust Grove Farm in Knoxville. I cannot wait to play with his wool!

    I'd love to see you post more about your spinning!!

    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kristin,
    sorry for the delay in getting this reply to you. I have recently purchased some milking sheep from Sherri, what an amazing woman! I am hearing very good things about the Tunis sheep. I am just about to get the wool out from this year's shearing and will certainly post about all that fun. How far east are you?

    ReplyDelete