Friday, February 5, 2010

Where to find heirloom seed potatoes

One year, many moons ago, I found some Russian Fingerlings, Yellow Rose and Blue Fin potatoes at Smith and Hawken (when they were a great store with great tools and no Scott "Organic" fertilizers - please, don't get me started!!) Well, the harvest was really spectacular and the difference in the flavors were out of this world. The range of flavors and uses for heirloom potatoes go far beyond the usual types you find in the grocery store.

Last year Rhayna, Brittany, Nicole and I harvested 700 pounds of potatoes that we are still eating daily. Eating your own organic potatoes is wonderful and a serious money saver, but one of the things I tend to leave too late every year is the purchase of my seed potatoes. If you don't have a local source, you must order seed potatoes from the internet (using potatoes you get from a store won't work very well because they are treated to prevent eyes from developing - ask Catherine how she knows!).

This year I am making it my gardening goal to have plenty of different varieties of heirloom potatoes available at the farm store for my customers because I know first hand that the best laid plans of mice and men...and women... get set aside if you need to order on the Internet. So, my gift to my customers will be to make these potatoes, prized for outstanding taste, available without the hassle.

If you want to order your own seed potatoes please visit the Seed Savers Exchange for more information about this pioneering organization and to peruse the many amazing heirloom varieties of potatoes available.

Please stop by the store or leave a comment if you have any further questions about getting started with potatoes in your garden or what types of heirloom potatoes to try. We'd love to help! Happy gardening!

No comments:

Post a Comment